On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:09:56AM -0800, Zachary Kotlarek wrote:

> Certainly it's something you can do after building LFS, though if you are
> trying to install on an LVM partition or the like you'll need it before the
> first reboot; I don't know how other people think about BLFS, but I generally
> don't consider such things until after my first boot into a new build, so
> it's a bit of a mismatch in that regard.

 We (both LFS and BLFS) have many different sorts of users.  I'd
assumed that people building a new LFS system (apart from those
building for the first time) generally knew what they wanted to
build, although they will probably try some newer things if they
see them in the BLFS book.

> As a point of reference, initramfs has been around since 2002 and the default
> and recommended boot method since 2005. So this isn't some experimental new
> feature we'd have to figure out how to use -- there are lots of perfectly
> good examples in the wild.

 Surely it depends who you take your recommendations from ?  ISTR
that Linus was fairly disparaging about modules, and also about the
difficulty of building a non-modular kernel on one of the big-name
distros, within the last 2 or 3 months.

ĸen