On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 16:27 +0000, Matt Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 15:32 -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> > LFS now provides a good, solid, and relatively simple way of bringing up
> > a single system.  It does not directly support any of these more complex
> > methods.  The question is: should LFS add these capabilities?
> >
> > If we did decide to implement the capability for an initramfs and/or
> > systemd, I think we might need a whole new chapter in the book.
> >
> > One of the major purposes of LFS is to explain how the packages in Linux
> > fit together.
> >
> > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  For a lot of situations, our current
> > implementation of LFS/BLFS works very well.  For a large implementation
> > where the requirements are varied and complex, I don't think LFS will
> > ever be preferable over a commercial distro.
> >
> > For the purposes of explanation, what we have works, but if we don't
> > change, it will become farther and farther away from what people see in
> > other implementations.
>
> Indeed, and for this reason I think we need to give serious
> consideration to where upstream are heading.
>
> I think an initramfs implementation is the right way to go to have
> people be able to build their systems so they match more closely what
> they would find in regular distros.  I don't think it would be fair on
> our readers to teach them how to put together a system that is too
> unlike any regular distro they could encounter.
>
> I like the idea behind systemd, inasmuch as they are trying to speed
> booting up by using dependencies to allow scripts to run in parallel
> rather than Sysvinit's serial boot ordering.  I realise that on pared
> down LFS systems bootup is pretty quick anyway, but even so, it just
> feels like the right way of doing things to me.  I must add though, that
> I'm not particularly fond of their plans for a binary system logger,
> although I also admit to not having seen its output so I don't know
> whether its just the UUIDs that are binary or whether all log messages
> are also binary.  I like being able to use standard UNIX text processing
> tools (less, more, awk, grep, etc.) on log files for obvious reasons!
> According to Fedora's spec file, the only additional dependency it would
> bring in is DBus and that would in turn bring in Expat (aside: I've no
> idea why DBus prefers Expat; I'd much rather use libxml2 as it seems to
> be the more widely used library, and having 2 XML parsing libraries just
> seems daft).

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2009-September/029433.html
states this requirement for Expat was because dbus-glib requires it to
be built against Expat.

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-June/043629.html
states that dbus-glib now works against the libxml2 backend as well, so
that dependency can be dropped.

Regards,

Matt.