On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Gerard Beekmans <
ger...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> One of the downsides with putting those things in BLFS is that people
> then find out about them too late. If you want to setup a system with
> initramfs and LVM configurations, that needs to be done early on in the
> LFS book. If you find out after the fact you end up having to re-do the
> LFS installation again.
>
> A compromise solution would be to still do a write-up about the various
> options in the LFS book. Explain what it's all about, the pros and cons
> but if it's decided to be out of LFS' scope then refer to the
> appropriate sections elsewhere.  This keeps the work flow intact: make a
> sound and informed decision on how to partition your system early on.

My 2 cents, FWIW: Cover initramfs in BLFS, and include an explicit
reference to that section early in the LFS chapter on the kernel.

I would love to see initramfs covered by Linux From Scratch (it would be
*really* handy for LFS-based liveCD/flashdrive systems) but I really don't
see it belonging in a "normal" LFS system.

William Tracy
afishion...@gmail.com
Cell phone: (805) 704-0917
Internet phone: (707) 206-6441