On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 02:40:54PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > On 5/25/12 12:51 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >> I suppose we will need to do a minimal install in LFS and a more
> >> complete install with all the bells and whistles in BLFS.  Sigh.
> >
> > There are dev alternatives, like mdev from busybox. It may at least be
> > worth investigation to see if we can avoid the systemd craziness completely.
>
> That would be a 'good thing'.
>
>    -- Bruce
 I too have no wish to be forced to install systemd - if it solves
problems, they are not problems I've seen on my own systems.

 Unfortunately, mdev appears not to be a full replacement.  Looking
at the gentoo wiki - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev - I see two
breakages for desktop users, and a further problem:

1. Xorg now expects to use evdev on linux, instead of mouse and kbd.
Evdev requires udev.  Specifically, it looks for libudev.pc.  I
suppose we could go back to kbd and mouse, as if we were on some
lesser system, but I would prefer not to.

2. Any desktop packages which require (g)udev will not build.  On my
own icewm desktops I can happily ignore such packages, but users of
gnome and perhaps other DEs will be disappointed.

 The further problem is with additional usb devices.  The gentoo
wiki implies a usb printer can work, but I've seen nothing about
adding rules to sort out other devices.  In my own case I've got
rules for USB sticks (every time I get a new one, it announces
itself as something different!) and for my cameras, so that I can
just plug one in and mount it at a convenient point [ I don't do
fancy stuff to allow me to mount two sticks ].  I guess most people
don't need to mount a camera and a stick at the same time, so just
haveing an option for /dev/sdb1 or wherever with vfat in fstab
probably fixes it for most people.

 Personally, I don't have issues with adding attr and pcap because I
already need them in my own builds.  But overall it's another nail
in the coffin of a simple and minimalist system.

ĸen