Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Maybe we can hack up the systemd package to install just udev, if
> there's no option to do that today?  It'd be annoying to have to
> maintain that diff though.

I'm still hoping someone fixes this upstream. This is what Kay Sievers
said in April:

"After udev is merged into the systemd tree you can still build it for
usage outside of systemd systems, and we will support these builds
officially. In fact, we will be supporting this for a long time since
it is a necessity to make initrds (which lack systemd) work properly.
Distributions not wishing to adopt systemd can build udev pretty much
the same way as before, however should then use the systemd tarball
instead of the udev tarball and package only what is necessary of the
resulting build."
( http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392 )

Building udev "pretty much the same way as before" is not possible with
the systemd-183 tarball.