Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Matt Burgess wrote:
>
>> Obviously, this is all pretty academic for me; if I'd have been
>> using or otherwise needing the by-path symlinks, I would have
>> noticed their disappearance in udev-182.  The only reason I noticed
>> they were missing now is because of xinglp's report.  Whilst I can
>> understand the use cases for by-uuid and by-label, I can't
>> immediately think of a use for by-path, and as no one else in
>> LFS-land has reported this before then I guess we can just chalk
>> this one up as a curiosity for now :-)
>
> That's my thought too.  It would be a 'nice to have' from a
> consistency point of view, but I don't see a need that applications
> depend on.

Agreed; I don't think it's worth a ton of effort to fix again.

I might still send something to systemd-devel, seeing what they think
about adding a separate layer for the ata* bus number, but ... eh,
probably not.  They'll probably just go for the perfect solution (as in,
the enemy of the good solution, as standard for udev these days :-) ),
and do nothing until "someone" (else!) fixes the ata transport layer in
the kernel.