On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 14:06 +0200, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev wrote:
> Hello Pierre,
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:55 AM Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev
> <lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We say that SHLIB_LIBS="-L/tools/lib -lncursesw" is needed to force
> > Readline to link against the libncursesw library. But:
> > 1) Even if readline uses the tremcap functions, it does not link
> > against any library containing it (see the INSTALL file in source).
> > 2) This switch had not effect to the only file where termcap
> > appears:
> > readline.pc, which has "Requires.private: termcap" anyway.
> >
> > Packages using the Requires.private field may therefore be fooled
> > by this, but I have found none until now, so the problem is
> > unlikely
> > to occur.
> >
> > Anyway, there is a configure switch, --with-curses, which allows
> > generating the correct readline.pc.
> >
> > So we should use this switch, and remove the SHLIB_LIBS settings,
> > which
> > do not bring anything.
>
> Have you taken into account the following messages for the reason to
> have SHLIB_LIBS="-L/LFS-tools/lib -lncursesw"?
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2007-03/msg00003.html
> and its reply
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2007-03/msg00005.html
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2014-04/msg00007.html
> and its reply
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2014-04/msg00024.html

No I didn't (before you pointed to them), but I think I came to the
exact same conclusion as the person who replied in both threads: that
could have been anticipated, since I used the present (readline-8.0)
doc, specially INSTALL, which most likely has been written by the same
person.
I have tried everything I said. Linking both libraries completes OK
even if SHLIB_LIBS is not passed. And adding --with-curses just changes
the readline.pc file to reference ncurses instead of termcap.

But I do not intend to commit this until I have done a complete rebuild
of lfs, with ICA to make sure this problem has gone away.

Pierre