On Thu, 2020-04-09 at 12:18 -0500, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
> On 4/9/20 11:38 AM, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 9:12 AM Pierre Labastie <
> > pierre.labas...@neuf.fr> wrote:
> > > >

> > > I think you are right and this needs some testing.
> > > Actually, this is my question: are there still packages using --
> > > if-
> > > needed? Not in lfs for sure. I'll do a full build of blfs to make
> > > sure.
> > >
> > > If you can point me to a package using that (even outside blfs),
> > > please
> > > do.
> >
> > The OP of the first link mentions `GNU parted-1.8.6'.  I haven't
> > checked whether the latest version of parted still does it.
> >
> > > OTOH, is -L/tools/lib needed? I hate the idea of putting a
> > > reference to
> > > /tools in final lfs builds. I have to try, but I think that just
> > > using
> > > SHLIB_LIBS=-lncursesw will add
> > > libncursesw to the list of needed ibraries, without resolving the
> > > above
> > > names at static link time (having them resolved at dynamic link
> > > time
> > > instead).
> >
> > AFAIK, -L will not embed anything in the resulting shared library.
>
> Correct.  It just tells the linker where to look.  rpath does embed
> the location of dynamic libraries.

Ok, thanks. After doing a jhalfs build with and without the SHLIB_LIBS
setting, I see that some results in util-linux configure are different.
This is not a big deal, since readline is marginally used in util-
linux, but it shows that other packages might behave differently
without the setting.

So the only thing to do is to add --with-curses, so that the .pc file
is correctly generated, and keep the SHLIB_LIBS=... setting.

Pierre