On Mon, 2020-05-04 at 06:51 +0100, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 12:51:34PM +0800, Xi Ruoyao via lfs-dev
> wrote:
> > > Doesn't really explain why man-db has sometimes failed, but
> > > passed
> > > other times (for various builders).  Maybe there is something
> > > else
> > > there.
> >
> > In sysv book, there was no util-linux in chap. 5 (until Pierre
> > added them to fix
> > problems found by ICA).  So the tests using util-linux tools would
> > be skipped.
>
> That make sense.  I'll blame Pierre ! ;-)
>
> No, obviously I won't blame Pierre, but this is still very much work
> in progress.

I did blame myself :)
http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2020-May/073696.html

so could it be that packages built in chap 5 look for locales in
/tools/share?

A few experiments (the "toto" command is just to have bash printing an
error message):
root [ / ]# echo $LC_ALL
fr_FR.UTF-8
root [ / ]# exec /bin/bash
root [ / ]# toto
bash: toto : commande introuvable

root [ / ]# exec /tools/bin/bash
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (fr_FR.UTF-8)
root [ / ]# echo $LC_ALL
fr_FR.UTF-8
root [ / ]# toto
bash: toto: command not found

So /tools/bin/bash is not seeking locales in /usr/lib/locale/locale-
archive (where compiled locales are stored, man localedef for details).

I guess it is the same for col from util-linux.

One possible fix is:
mkdir /tools/lib/locale
ln -s /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive /tools/lib/locale

with that:
root [ / ]# export LC_ALL=fr_FR.UTF-8
root [ / ]# exec /tools/bin/bash
root [ / ]# toto
bash: toto : commande introuvable

Another tweak needed because of a separate /tools...

Pierre