On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 at 20:46, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev
<lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> In the last few weeks, the LFS editors have been working on a major
> overhaul of LFS.  This work can be reviewed at
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/cross2-lfs-book/

Was there an SVN reference (branch) to pull the sources from?

> We welcome comments and criticisms large and small.
>
>    -- Bruce

These comments (or maybe criticisms - your interpretation: your rules)
based on a very quick speed read: please take that into consideration
when deciding.

I'd like to see the "cross-compiling 101" sections, so

Introduction
Toolchain Technical Notes
General Compilation Instructions

in "chapter" 5, separated out from the package build sections there.

Appreciate they would make for a very small introductory chapter
but it somehow feels wrong as it is.

Not sure if I'd favour the Pass1 and Pass2 sections all being within
the same chapter or not though, or how one would entitle a chapter
that just contained just those five package builds, plus yet another
Introduction.

I am also aware that Ninja and Meson are still only "required" for
the SystemD version, but that LFS has decided to build packages
in the SysV revision with them, even though all required packages
can still be built using an Autotools-based approach.
(I 'm sure that claim is soon to be rendered invalid though?)

I appreciate there's a perception that the SysV and SysD books
should align as much as possible, indeed I've even got some
packages re-ordered on the basis of that view, but I'm less
convinced that the SystemD tail should wag the LFS dog.

Given that LFS used to start from the view that one only built
what was needed to build the LFS-system, and never warming
to the systemd camp fire, i've always felt Ninja and Meson to be
a kind of feature-creep and so was wondering if that could be
made more explicit, so that people could see that Ninja and Meson
could happily be left out until BLFS.
(Though there's no getting away from them there: more's the pity!)

Then again, I could make the same claim for Intltool and a
couple of other packages related to it.

Looking forwards to trying it out though,
Kevin