On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 06:54:47PM -0800, Thomas Tutone wrote:

> I get errors running the glibc-2.3.6 testsuite in
> section 6.9 of Version 6.2 of the LFS book:

[snip a series of nptl failures, version-check showing a recent
kernel, and relevant archive postings ]

> So, this suggests that my host kernel is too recent.
> It also suggests that I shouldn't ignore these
> errors and move on.

 I disagree about "I shouldn't ignore".  The nptl testsuite can be
very affected by the running kernel.  But, as a desktop user, I've
not noticed any problems in the resulting system, so I think that
you *can* ignore the errors you posted.  OK, I haven't built 2.3.6
for a few months, but I've done a fair amount of building against
glibc-2.4 and 2.5 with current and prerelease kernels, and seen
various nptl failures.

>  A couple questions:
>
> 1.  Any suggestions on how to proceed short of
> building a 2.6.16.27 kernel for the host?

 Don't do that.  Please.  Adrian Bunk is maintaining 2.6.16 at the
moment, if you are going to stay with 2.6.16 then please use a
current version - most of what goes in is security fixes.

> 2.  If I do take that route (building a 2.6.16.27
> kernel in order to get past these errors), do
> I need to go back and rebuild the entire temporary
> system while booted up with the 2.6.16.27 kernel?

 If you *are* going with a recent 2.6.16, once you have booted the
kernel just start from glibc in chroot - nothing should have been
*built* differently (you are using the same headers as the book, so
the differences in the nptl tests are a runtime variation).

ĸen