--- Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 06:54:47PM -0800, Thomas
> Tutone wrote:
> >
> > I get errors running the glibc-2.3.6 testsuite in
> > section 6.9 of Version 6.2 of the LFS book:
> >
> [snip a series of nptl failures, version-check
> showing a recent
> kernel, and relevant archive postings ]
> >
> > So, this suggests that my host kernel is too
> recent.
> > It also suggests that I shouldn't ignore these
> > errors and move on.
>
>  I disagree about "I shouldn't ignore".  The nptl
> testsuite can be
> very affected by the running kernel.  But, as a
> desktop user, I've
> not noticed any problems in the resulting system, so
> I think that
> you *can* ignore the errors you posted.

OK, that's very helpful to know.

[snip]

> >  A couple questions:
> >
> > 1.  Any suggestions on how to proceed short of
> > building a 2.6.16.27 kernel for the host?
>
>  Don't do that.  Please.  Adrian Bunk is maintaining
> 2.6.16 at the
> moment, if you are going to stay with 2.6.16 then
> please use a
> current version - most of what goes in is security
> fixes.

OK, good advice (and the book makes the same point).
But the book (in section 8.3.1) also suggests applying
a patch (linux-2.6.16.27-utf8_input-1.patch) before
building a new kernel for the LFS system.  That
particular patch presumably should only be applied if
one is using 2.6.16.27.  If one instead uses a current
version of 2.6.16, can one safely ignore the advice
about applying the patch (because, for example, the
later version already incorporates that patch)?

> > 2.  If I do take that route (building a 2.6.16.27
> > kernel in order to get past these errors), do
> > I need to go back and rebuild the entire temporary
>
> > system while booted up with the 2.6.16.27 kernel?
>

>  If you *are* going with a recent 2.6.16, once you
> have booted the
> kernel just start from glibc in chroot - nothing
> should have been
> *built* differently (you are using the same headers
> as the book, so
> the differences in the nptl tests are a runtime
> variation).

OK.  Building glibc again using a 2.6.16 kernel, but
not rebuilding the temporary system, I now get the
following errors:

make[2]: [/sources/glibc-2-build/posix/annexc.out]
Error 1 (ignored)
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-2-build/nptl/tst-cancel4.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-2-build/nptl/tst-cancel5.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-2-build/nptl/tst-clock2.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-2-build/nptl/tst-cancelx4.out] Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/sources/glibc-2-build/nptl/tst-cancelx5.out] Error 1
make[1]: *** [nptl/tests] Error 2
make: *** [check] Error 2

So, fewer errors than before, but still getting
several in the nptl tests.  Based on your advice, I'll
keep going, rather than rebuilding the temporary
system.

Thanks very much for the response.

Best regards,

Tom