> It seems I can control the drive controllers and am now making some
> progress.  I can get GRUB to continue on, but I hit a kernel panic
> that halts me later.

any way to store the dmesg on a system that isn't booting properly?

I get to
VFS: cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
please append correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root DS on unknown-block(0,0)

Since the boot messages go by so fast, and I cannot get pause, or
scroll lock to stop the screen I cannot see what happens earlier in
the boot.

Alan