2009/9/25 Fernando Oliveira <fam...@yahoo.com.br>:

>> # CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
>> # CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

 I'm not familiar with either of those configure options, but
perhaps if you turned them on you _might_ get diagnostics.

> 00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 02)

Google found all sorts of problems on distro lists or forums
with the ES1371.  Does it work on any of the distros you tried ?
If so, look at what modules they have loaded in case
something is missing.

Anecdotally, this does sound like the via problem I had in
2.6.30 - in that case, the DXS control was rescaled and
using old values in alsactl made it almost silent.  For that,
the fix was to turn up *everything* in alsamixer, including
the "I've no idea what this does" controls at the far right.

If you have a recent (2.6.27 or later) distro kernel which
works, you could try building that release of the kernel
(worst case, you might get weird errors anywhere
because of header changes, but will probably work if you
built glibc with the book's --enable-kernel value).

 At the moment, you don't have a "known good" set of
kernel, kernel .config, and alsa settings, which makes it
hard to determine where the error lies.

 It's also possible that this problem might be with the
virtual machine software.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"