On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:11, Fernando Oliveira wrote:

> > If so, look at what modules they have loaded in case
> > something is missing.
>
> I am trying to do this. I t is very difficult, due to the large number of
> modules. If it could aid for getting more help from you and from Bruce, I
> am attaching the lines of the kernel config file in th VMW Ubuntu having
> the words SND and SOUND.

First a shot in the dark:
In a VM guest machine you have to match your kernel modules to the emulations
provided by the VM Host software.

This link indicates that VMWare emulates very old sound hardware to the guest
machine.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_sound.html

Of course you may be using other VM software and the link may not be relevant
to you.

I think the easiest way to find the modules you require is to boot a "sound
running" system then do a "lsmod" and make a note of the sound modules that
are loaded in memory.

Then you need to make sure that the appropriate (same or similar) modules are
loaded in your "sound broken" system.

Hope this helps

Tony Sauri