alex lupu wrote:
> Just curious.  Hopefully, the answers might help some other curious people
> too.
>
> First, apologies for my limited exposure and knowledge of GRUB 2
> and for the inconvenience.
>
> So far, my grub 0.97 has been adequate (and very simple to use)
> for anything I've thrown at it.
> OTOH, I may have had only simple situations to deal with.
>
> 1. Can this particular, subject configuration be solved with GRUB 2 only?
> A grub 0.97 cannot handle it?
>
> 2. In general, if grub 0.97 could be used here, does it have limitations in
> other complicated configurations, present and in the foreseeable future?

Yes, grub 0.97 can be used.  I still use it with my 32-bit system.

However it cannot be used with GPT partitions which are needed for newer
large hard disks (> 2T).  I don't think it can be used when booting from
an nfs mount either, but I don't use that.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Many of the links on the web refer to using scripts in /etc/grub.d/ to
create the config file.  We don't do that because we want to show the
underlying system.

   -- Bruce