Hi Bruce:

== Alex:
I was at kernel 3.6.1 and udev 182
Life was beautiful.
I upgraded to udev 195.
'/dev/pts' is no longer created.
Same situation if now I go to 3.6.6 or 3.6.7.
Strangely, I my new machine that I'm trying to get it off the ground
'dev/pts' has also disappeared (kernel 3.6.7 BUT udev 182!).
Before troubleshooting, I'm figuring maybe it'd be useful to know
how and where '/dev/pts' used to be created (during 'udevd' running?, etc.).

== Bruce:
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts -o gid=5,mode=775

should do it.

== Alex:
I said very clearly,
'/dev/pts' is no longer created.

If /dev/pts is not there how can your mount succeed??!!

As an aside, your mount is essentially what happens
during the 'mountfs' run on boot-up.
The failure of 'mountfs' clearly displayed on the console is
an early warning for me that there'll be trouble in paradise
(not longer an 'xterm', etc.)

== Bruce:
Do you have it in /etc/fstab:
devpts   /dev/pts   devpts gid=5,mode=775   0     0

== Alex:
Of course I do.  Otherwise how can the mount in 'mountfs' could
have succeded in 3.6.1/182 ??!!
I did say,
"I was at kernel 3.6.1 and udev 182
Life was beautiful."
meaning '/dev/pts' must have been there.
Otherwise, how could I have said,
"I upgraded to udev 195.
'/dev/pts' is NO LONGER created." ??!!

== Bruce:
I'm pretty sure udev has nothing to do with mounting /dev/pts.

== Alex:
As I said, '/dev/pts' was _created_ (NOT mounted) somehow.
That's the very reason of the post's title,
"How is 'dev/pts' created (or not)?".
As I said,
"Before troubleshooting, I'm figuring maybe it'd be useful to know
how and where '/dev/pts' used to be created".
If I knew, I might be able to fix the thing that was broken from
udev 182 to 195, and left broken from kernel 3.6.1 to 3.6.7.

Cheers,
-- Alex