Op Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:05:01 +0200 schreef Rob Taylor <rtaylor...@gmail.com>:

I have been working through LFS 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 testing and revising scripts for this package management system.

I have added a number of scripts and in some cases almost entirely rewritten the existing scripts. While I have tested these scripts no one else has so, my version of this package should be considered Alpha or Beta at best.

You can play with the revised project and see my notes here:
https://www.javacrypt.com/lfs/

I don't have a lot of time for development or support so use at your own risk and use the lists here or Google as a resource if my replies seem rather slow.

Enjoy,
Robert Taylor

Looks impressive. I stopped using the  package management system; too much trouble and not enough benefits, but I still use scripts that are based on it. I will look into yours; maybe I can learn from it.

Another interesting piece of work on this subject you can find at https://github.com/ericherman/package-users.
There was also a discussion on this subject on this support site about two years ago, initiated by Drew Ames.

Hans.