On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 01:31:37AM +0200, thibaut noah wrote:

(I'll fix up the quoting, snce your mailer seems to be crap)
>> I have no idea what that does, but it is clearly NOT a replacement
>> for actually running grub-install to /dev/sdb [ NOT sdb3 ] from within
>> chroot.  Did you run grub-install ?
>
> Yes i did, but if i don't use the parted command i cannot run grub-install,
> the command will fail.

How does it fail ?  Again you are saying things like "it fails"
without providing the exact error message, so for the moment we are
guessing.

>> For qemu, I have to tell it on the command-line which image(s) [
>> i.e. disk(s) ] tp use - I assume that qemu is similar and therefore
>> when you try to boot LFS qemu only sees one virtual disk ?
>
> you mean virtualbox right? i don't use qemu for this, virtualbox only see
> the disk i give to it so yes one disk.

Yes, I did mean virtualbox.

>> And, nost importantly - what happens ?  "Does not boot" tells us
>> nothing.  Does grub report any error ?
>
> What i mean is virtualbox doesn't find anything to boot on, so no grub no
> anything, i don't have the exact message because i'm home
> but it's something like "no boot device detected"

That sounds as if grub is not installed.

Looking on google for virtualbox and grub, I noticed that the parted
command you mentioned sets the boot flag on the partition you
specify - that is irrelevant to grub, which has never needed the
boot flag.

>> If I am right, your partitioning is wrong - you will need to backup
>> the new system, then partition with:
>
> Why would i do that? grub needs to have /boot in first position on the
> disk?

If you are using GPT partitions, the BIOS boot partition is a guard
for the real GPT partitions.  It is not the same as a partition
where you put /boot.  See my follow-up post from earlier about
adding extra things to grub.cfg.  The /boot partition can be any of
the partitions, but it is conventional on a GPT disk to protect it
with a BIOS boot partition.

Actually, thinking about that, I suspect that grub *might* have
written to the BIOS boot partition.  I don't know, and partitioning
a new image, then copying everything to it, is probably the easiest
fix.  Arch is usually good for giving the details, try
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUID_Partition_Table

And please read the next part, which is the only piece I have
retained from what you included below your reply -

> > Do not top post on this list.
> >
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Otherwise, people here will ignore you.

ĸen
--
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want,
and deserve to get it good and hard -- H.L. Mencken