> From: thibaut noah <thibaut.n...@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 07:58:59 +0200
> Subject: [lfs-support] Grub failed me, my boot has sink
>

> Hi guys, i managed to get to the end of the lfs build.
>
> The problem i have now is that my /boot is on a separate partition and
> unfortunatly the book doesn't tell me much for this situation.
> I don't get what is happening because i managed to install grub
> successfully on the disk and my fstab and grub.cfg looks ok to me.
>
> I would like to add that i created my lfs on virtualbox, my /dev/sda is my
> debian host and my /dev/sdb is lfs.
> I intented to just quit debian after the build and boot directly on the
> virtual disk where /dev/sdb is (so supposedly it should become /dev/sda? )

You need to consider how the disks will look to bios/uefi/grub at the
point when you are booting into it.

For example, if:
--
* you have two separate physical disks;

* and your debian (without any ~unusual remappings/&c) sees them as sda
  (for disk1) & sdb (for disk2);

* and you don't change the physical connections of the disks to the
 computer;

* then your lfs should see the same sda (for disk1) & sdb (for disk2)
  - again, without any ~unusual remappings/&c.
--

> I join my config files in case someone can enlighten me on what is going
> on, any documentation or hint would be welcome, thanks.
>
> fstab : http://pastebin.com/iE18fXEZ
>
> grub.cfg : http://pastebin.com/DpPfb6ic
>
> I used the "parted /dev/sdb set 3 bios_grub on" command on my /boot
> partition to manage to install grub, /dev/sdb3 is formatted with ext2 format
>
> fdisk -l : http://pastebin.com/NHjkCDNf

Paste the three pastebin contents into your message - not least as
they'll be short-enough.

rgds,
akh