On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 08:58:46AM +0530, Aditya Dixit wrote:
> Please help me in fixing this issue. I'm following v.7.10 of
> LinuxFromScratch on Fedora 64-bit device.
>
> The problem is:
>
> configure:4496: checking whether the C compiler works
> configure:4505: ./a.out
> ../binutils-2.27/configure: line 4507:  2249 Segmentation fault
> (core dumped) ./$ac_file
> configure:4509: $? = 139
> configure:4516: error: in `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.27':
> configure:4520: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

Bad hardware | bad memory | over-temperature | power-supply problem
(including irregular mains power).

Does it reliably compile other things ?  One of my machines is an
AMD Phenom of some sort - it has always had a tendency to segfault,
possibly a BIOS problem, dropping the caches with
 echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm_drop_caches
*mostly* helps - before I added that to my bootscripts, I used to
find that using make -j3 instead of make -j4 was more reliable
(somebody else also found that on a phenom).

For memory, memtest86+ : many motherboards will NOT run for more
than a few minutes with the "all cores" (F2) option - but if it
locks up within 5 minutes you should reboot, select that again, then
immediately use the option to configure it and choose round-robin or
sequential for cores.  Leave it running for a few hours, checking it
from time to time.

At one time, over-temperature used to be a common problem, with
gummed-up fans - modern hardware tends to throttle the CPU if the
temperature goes up.  But if the BIOS lets you see temperatures,
check them.

Oh, and overclocking can cause this.  And sometimes, it's just one of
those things (alpha particles ?) and works fine next time.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods