I built it on my i7-940.  When finished, with both linux-4.7.2 and
4.9.30, and the rough edges knocked off, e.g. networking, X, Firefox
working, I updated my "clone" script and cloned it to my i7-870.  That
required a bit more work to get a clean clone from the book's "setup"
bits, e.g. useradds, the as-built binaries, and the book's final config
bits, without any contamination from stuff I did in building.  The
system seemed to work well on the 870 too,

So to verify that those fixes to the clone script were "clean", tonight
I cloned it again to one of my Conroes.  The "base" kernels are just
configured to boot on a generic box, primarily, so one of the first
things I do is rebuild the kernel customized for this specific box.  Not
good.

  LD      drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/built-in.o
  CC [M]  drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/ch7006_drv.o
  CC      net/ipv4/datagram.o
  CC [M]  drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/ch7006_mode.o
  CC      net/ipv4/raw.o
drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/ch7006_mode.c:51:3: internal compiler error: Illegal
instruction
   NTSC_LIKE_TIMINGS,
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  CC      net/ipv4/udp.o
0x9788bf crash_signal
        ../../gcc/toplev.c:333
Please submit a full bug report,
Please include the complete backtrace with any bug report.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:293:
drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/ch7006_mode.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:544: drivers/gpu/drm/i2c] Error 2
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:544: drivers/gpu/drm] Error 2
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:544: drivers/gpu] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:988: drivers] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC      net/ipv4/udplite.o
  CC      net/ipv4/udp_offload.o

Is this gmp's doing?  Do we STILL have to deal with this misbehavior?  I
didn't use a --TARGET in its configure.  Probably an oversight on my
part, since I do want this to work on any x86-64 I might have to throw
it on.

I suppose I could  get this system in a chroot and recompile just gmp,
if that's all it'd take.  Rebuilding it all from Ch6 again would take a
couple weeks.

So what fix would you recommend?
--
Paul Rogers