Turns out my solution way easier than the path I started on--my brain
often does that to me, coming up with the better solution, but tardy.

I went back to the original finished build on the i7-940, my "Iron
Horse" candidate.  (Apologies if I misunderstood you about that.)  I
added that --build parm to the configure in my ch6-11-gmp-6.1.1 script,
calling the result ch6-11-gmp-6.1.1a, with all my normal "pio" package
management.  That compiled fine on the i7, and one of my tools collected
all the pieces in an "update tarball".  Carried that to the Conroe and
applied it.  Then the kernel recompile went smooth--no reboot required,
as you thought.  So now I have two as-builts, 6.1.1 for an i7 and 6.1.1a
for generic CPUs.  Don't think I want the first one for this next
iteration, "Brass Monkey" candidate.

Thanks, Bruce.

--
Paul Rogers