On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 14:47:16 -0700
Paul Rogers <paulgrog...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I do find it ironic the kernel has to do these strange math calculations
> no other packge uses, except apparently gmp.

Not the kernel code per say, but rather gcc while compiling a kernel.
And gcc in turn calls on gmp to do those calculations (for gcc).

Kernel code tends to dictate/control things at the lower levels
(e.g., directly inserted assembly code, variables held in specific
CPU registers, "volatile" memory regions, etc.) more than is typical
in normal applications. Perhaps these kinds of special compile
requirements things cause gcc to lean more heavily on gmp in certain
areas thus triggering the problem.

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell