On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 14:42:47 -0700
Paul Rogers <paulgrog...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> If that's true, even with systemd, why is there any need to build an
> initramfs for a known system?

  Paul,

Just like you, I build everything I need into a custom kernel and avoid
the need for an initramfs. One other reason people use initramfs is if
they need udev services on boot, say, for a drive the kernel will not be
able to find via a simple specification of root=/dev/X.

I think people should not go through all the initramfs trouble just for
LABEL= or UUID= functionality, but rather should just use PARTUUID=
which the kernel natively understands.

If Frans was using an initramfs, I assume he had some reason for doing
so and that we had to work within that constraint.

But, what really got me about Frans' case is why he could not bypass
systemd with init=. Well, it turns out that won't bypass the initramfs
which, at least for systemd systems, will still try and start systemd
before things can be handed off to the init= executable.

Systemd sure adds tons of complexity and it is scary to debug when
things go wrong. I much prefer the traditional sysvinit. However, when
I get some time, I think I might try runit and see how I like it:

http://www.mikeperham.com/2014/07/07/use-runit/
http://smarden.org/runit/

Finit looks interesting too:
http://troglobit.com/projects/finit/

FWIW, Gentoo has a comparision of the different init systems:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems

  Cheers,

  Mike