On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 09:19:35 +0200
Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:

> I have a strong reason to believe that it is systemd, since up-to
> version 237 all worked well, but with version 237 and 238 - and nothing
> else changed - it does not boot anymore.

  Frans,

Yes, I too believe that it is systemd. However, why you can't get
init=/bin/bash to boot is something that needs to be answered even if
systemd was booting OK. If you are using an initramfs, then that would
explain it because, as I understand it, in that case, systemd is still
required to start the init= line. This certainly is not a good thing,
IMHO, because init= is needed for such emergencies and there is a lot
that can go wrong with systemd, much, much more so than bash.

The systemd changelog can be seen here:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/NEWS

There are lot of changes to 238. Those that stand out to me are:

 1. The MemoryAccounting= unit property now defaults to on.

 2. Non-service units are now started with KeyringMode=shared
    by default.

 3.  /sys/fs/bpf is now mounted automatically.

So, you can try adding to the kernel command line:

MemoryAccounting=false

For #3, in the kernel config, make sure "Enable bpf() system call"
(CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL) is enabled in the General Setup.

For #2, the unit files could be changed to use
KeyringMode=inherit
or some such.

I would also try using version 239 to see if that works (they may have
fixed a known bug).

  Cheers,

  Mike