On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:01:48 +0200
Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:

> Same story, nothing happens.
> I do notice, however, that on the listing by systemd capabilities the
> text -ELFUTILS is used. I do compile the elfutils, but somehow systemd
> does not use them. Is that a likely source of the problem?

   Frans,

I don't know, but how do you know that systemd is not using them?

In anycase, I think that if init=/bin/bash can't bring up a shell
prompt, then that indicates a serious issue and one that should
be independent of systemd (unless you are using an initramfs/initrd,
see below).

When trying init=/bin/bash, what exactly does your kernel command
line look like?

Here is how someone approaches that in grub:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-reset-lost-root-password-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus-linux

Their grub boot was changed to something like:

linux     /boot/vmlinuz-4-4.0-22-generic root=UUID=43ad24d3-e\
c5b-44ee-a099-a88eb9520989 rw init=/bin/bash

But, without an initramfs, a PARTUUID should be used instead
(issue a blkid as root to see the list of drive names/IDs).

Now, with an initramfs/initrd it is my understanding that systemd still
starts first and then systemd calls the init= line:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-June/020016.html

Are you using an initrd? If so, can you build any needed drivers into
the kernel, specifiy your root filesystem via PARTUUID and then
try init=/bin/bash again without the use of any initrd?

Another possibility is that the terminal you get does see your
commands, its just that you can't see the response due to some
type of console setup issue. You could try seeing if issuing
some command, e.g., ls, does cause the hard drive access light
to flash.

I would also try booting the same filesystem, but with another,
known good, kernel to see if that helps.

   Cheers,

   Mike