On 1/13/21 7:23 AM, coolnodje wrote:

Interesting.  Can you do 'su -' to become root?
I haven't set a root pwd, but `sudo su -` works fine

What are the ownership and permissions of /home/lfs/,
/home/lfs/.bash_profile, and /home/lfs/.bashrc ?
All standard, I believe, respectively:
755 lfs:lfs

644 lfs:lfs
644 lfs:lfs

Did you set the lfs user's password?
I did

After becoming user lfs, what is the output from running 'set'?
well, using `su lfs` and then sourcing `~/.bash_profile` it is:

> BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="5" [1]="0" [2]="3" [3]="1" [4]="release"

[snip]

The idea of Section 4.4 is to create a very austere environment. Did
you see the Important note in Section 4.4?  Does /etc/bash.bashrc
exist on your host?

I did have to rename /etc/bash/bashrc on Debian, I suspected it could
cause problem as it seems to do a couple important things. But it's not it.

It looks like everything is OK, but Pierre has figured out that the problem is a version of bash that is too old in debian stable. As he said, the workaround is to use fg when becoming user lfs. The complete solution is to use Debian testing.

I'll note that earlier versions of Debian stable worked fine. Your version is bash-5.0.3. That is the third patch to bash-5.0. We know the proper fix is in bash-5.0.11 and bash-5.1.

  -- Bruce