On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 05:04:36 -0400 (EDT), Alexander V. Lukyanov wrote:

> As far as I can tell, lftp does not wait for QUIT reply only when it
> exits.  Is it really necessary to linger at exit to wait for clean
> connection shutdown?

Well, I don't know if "necessary" is the right word; but it is the
expected behavior to wait for a 221 reply to the QUIT command before
closing the control connection.  That's what all other FTP clients do.
On the other hand, lftp has a long-standing tradition of being as
asynchronous as possible and as fast as possible, and I respect
that tradition as well.

I propose a compromise.  Let's introduce a new "set" variable.  Maybe
we could call it ftp:wait-for-goodbye, or something along those lines.
It would be a boolean variable.  You could make its default value "no"
for forward compatibility with the current behavior.  If set to "yes",
then lftp will wait for a "221 Goodbye." message to be received in
response to the QUIT command before closing the control connection.
What do you think?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :