Re: the book edit portal - I do not have control over the platform it is
being edited on. The handbook project was launched by people in Berlin's
CryptoParty, and I was brought on board at a later point.

On 9/10/12 9:30 AM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

>> @samthetechie
>>

> Why were you offended?
>
> Did you work on any of the software in the book? Did you try to help a
> bunch of the first CryptoParty events out?

Sam organised and ran CryptoParty London. He stepped up when nobody else
did. He found a venue. He asked for access to edit the book repeatedly.

He has run impromptu cryptoparty sessions with activists since. He
should be commended for that.

I did those things -

Jacob, I'm aware you had contact with at least couple of cryptopartie,
which is great. Your work talking about privacy, surveillance and Tor
was instrumental in beginning the conversations that lead to
CryptoParty. Due to the respect many people have for you, it's
reasonable to assume events around the world would approach you to
speak. I'm not aware that you attended a party or spoke at one yet. Can
you advise me if this is different?

We want your involvement, and are very grateful for your critical
analysis so far.

> and you say that I should do more because I dared to not endorse it with
> fanfare?

I agree that the book doesn't need any more endorsements - only critical
analysis and editing and content revision.

I am concerned though that some of the ways in which the conversation is
being framed around issues with the current edition are not particularly
productive in encouraging people to continue.

One of the things I believe is there's only a certain number of people
with the correct skill set and motivation to successfully pull of
certain projects. It's important to get the process of constructive
criticism right - otherwise interaction becomes demoralising.

I did not work on the technical aspects of the book. I cannot. I do not
have the right skill set. I have fielded maybe 6 criticisms of current
version of the book since Jacob's comments on twitter.  I've tried to
encourage people to write their own revisions and directed the concerns
towards @julian0liver who was with the original team working on the
handbook when possible.

x. Asher