..on Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:56:34AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 02:20:28PM -0800, John Adams wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I generally agree that the data should be encrypted, though I think it
> > > should also be authenticated and integrity checked before it is actually
> > > used.
> > >

> > If this level of paranoia is relevant to you, then maintain multiple
> > offline SHA, MD5, and other checksum formats before use.
>
> Or, you could simply rent a server, and roll your own cloud.

I agree. Server administration is a tremendously empowering skill to have. A
self-run server becomes its own commons; a campfire for friends, family and
those trusted. More importantly it is regionalised culturally and
infrastructurally - often right down to the wire for communities in the same
geographic area.

Services like DropBox stress infrastructure, resulting in the building of more
singularly controlled 'main roads' on the Internet while affirming market logics
that favour service centralisation.

> > It would be trivial to script this outside of Dropbox's scope.
>
> It would be even more trivial to http://owncloud.org/support/install/

Yep, a great project this one.

Cheers,

--