..on Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:29:08AM -0800, John Adams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:
>

> > Or, you could simply rent a server, and roll your own cloud.
> >
> > > It would be trivial to script this outside of Dropbox's scope.
> >
> > It would be even more trivial to http://owncloud.org/support/install/
>

> Yeah, this sure sounds trivial for mom and pop users:
>
> To run ownCloud, your webserver must have the following installed: php5 (>=
> 5.3), php5-json php-xml php-mbstring php5-zip php5-gdAnd as optional
> dependencies: php5-sqlite (>= 3), curl, libcurl3, libcurl3-dev, php5-curl,
> php-pdo
>
> apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-json php-xml php-mbstring php5-zip php5-gd
>
> apt-get install php5-sqlite curl libcurl3 libcurl3-dev php5-curl php-pdo

In all fairness they are not instructions for each individual user, but a server
administrator. I'll be setting up OwnCloud on one of my servers soon, allowing
'mom and pop' users that I invite (friends, colleagues and family) to trivially
(and relatively securely) share files between them.

Cheers,

--
Julian Oliver
http://julianoliver.com