Blog security is a complex and important topic. A few notes:

1) Locking down your blog site will generally still leave you
susceptible to DDOS attacks. If the adversary has sufficient resources
(e.g. bandwidth) and patience, he can essentially keep you down
permanently. The only good way to deal with this is at the network
level, e.g. your host may be able to apply various mitigations
depending on the specific DDOS tactics in use. A good caching plugin
will help in certain cases; I personally have had good success with
WP-Supercache but YMMV.

2) Sucuri.net (no affiliation with them) also has a good reputation.
Experienced admins can replicate a lot of the benefits from these
types of providers separately, but most blog authors lack the
expertise or time to do this. In the meantime, take care with what
plugins and themes you use, choose a good long passphrase, and follow
the rest of the advice in the Codex at
http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress.

If activists have related questions, please feel free to contact me
and I may be able to assist or direct you to specific subject matter
experts.

--
Kyle Maxwell [krmaxw...@gmail.com]
http://www.xwell.org