the whole thing is not a big deal, but i will risk repeating myself: the
original comment on this list overlooked the phrase " *unless they have an
explicit component related to the requested program objectives listed above*,"
and this is actually a solicitation *for *proposals, not an effort to
discourage them. The original "discourage" comment was just trying to
ensure that proposals were area- and program-specific. State has already
modified the page to make this clear, perhaps in reaction to comments such
as the original one on this list: http://www.state.gov/j/drl/p/206488.htm.
It's now clear that there is no intent to discourage applications.

--
David Golumbia
dgolum...@gmail.com