David, you have indeed pointed it out twice.  But it's still
inconsistent for the US State Department to carry out a public
relations campaign that gives the impression that it's adding a
technology component to all its work and then issue RFPs that
"strongly discourage technology projects" from applying "unless they
have an explicit component related to the requested program
objectives."

I understand it's standard language. But, presumably, everyone who
applies will have the program objective in mind, whether they are
tech-oriented or not, so why even bother with the caveat?

Also, the language does not disprove Katy's suggestion that the caveat
may be there to ensure non-technology projects get support.  One way
to test whether this is indeed the case is to see whether RFPs issued
prior to the public relations campaign lacked that caveat.

In any case, I suspect whoever wrote this standard language likely did
not put as much thought into crafting the language as we are analyzing
it.

Best,

Yosem