I don't think that the Chinese will work with him. I think it's more like I
see fewer reasons for the Chinese government to cooperate with the U.S.
government than most European/Western nations that he could have run off
to. The PRC is not going to let CIA/NSA agents just nab him from right
under its nose.

I can see this as a positive for the PRC similar to how it often attempts
to publicly criticize US double standards when it comes to human rights:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-04/21/c_132326904.htm

There is a special irony to the fact that a U.S. whistle-blower is hiding
in Chinese territory. I can see how that narrative may appeal to some
people in the Chinese government.

Again, the question boils down to whether that propaganda value is greater
than just trading him off for some concrete diplomatic concession. Given
that the US and Hong Kong have an extradition treaty, the Chinese
government can really go either way on this.