On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 08:04:24AM -0700, Matt Johnson wrote:
> Eugen, I don't think MTA configuration will help the target audience
> of the cryptoparties. I doubt many of them run their own mail servers.

Relying on your ISP-issued relay or your mail provider's
SMTP provides a convenient one-stop shop for information
collection. It is definitely possible and desirable for
small organisations and groups of users to run their own
SMTP servers, and potentially also IMAP servers.
All it takes is a static IP address which is not on
the usual blacklists.

We must get users out of the cloud.

> I believe they are targeting end user client machines.
>
> Of course you are right that many users will stop using it if it is
> difficult. The idea of the cryptoparty, as I understand it, it to help
> those users. This way more people learn how to use cryptography and
> the the people who write the cryptography software may learn what is
> difficult for end users.
>
> Your dismissive attitude will not help, the cryptoparty might.

My or your attitude will not change the fact that use
of GNUPG in MUA will not happen on a large scale.
Nor will any amount of cryptoparties.

Even the developers of GNUPG are of the opinion, which
why they've been pushing towards STEED
http://g10code.com/steed.html
which obviously has one giant cloven hoof speaking
against it: DNS. Now, they have *two* problems, not one.

StartTLS already secures order of magnitude more traffic
than PGP in MUAs or PGP gateways ever will (look into
this message's rich headers, chances are, you're already
secure along some part of transport way without being
even aware of it).

And of course it's fully compaptible with VPNs, or GNUPG
or whatever have you.