I'd argue Morozov isn't a journalist at all. He is a writer and researcher
who publishes rhetorical opinion. His voice is absolutely necessary, as you
all point out, for its being one of the few on the opposite side of a
prevailing pro-SV world view.  I find myself in agreement with most of the
positions he takes, but pushed back by his nasty discussions about and
call-outs of individuals. It's hard to take, and undermines what he is
seeking to do, if that is communicating argument to the larger public and
advancing the public interest. His methods of community building and
creating spaces for discourse are nearly TMZ-like.  (On another note, it's
also strange that he delves into areas of discourse of which he has no
practical knowledge of -- his takedown of Kickstarter "culture" as one
example -- but I guess this isn't that different from most people who make
a living out of critique and commentary. But really, "try it before you
critique it" would be a motto I'd like to see applied more often.) It would
be good to see his intellect and his voice be directed away from that. His
work is important to the field.

My two cents.

Lina Srivastava
--