Probably no denying that polemical propositions may increase the reach
and rhetorical force of any one argument; and while pitting the tasks
of critique against those of creating (and maintaining) solidarity has
never been a very good idea, it does make a lot of sense to gauge the
costs of such polemics and take seriously the damage it may do among
actual and potential allies (even if in the end the intervention in
question may simply call for some dirty work in the journalism
trenches, Fox News style, just gotta accept that I guess).

But sure more voices are needed, especially because there's no such
thing as a single public or public discourse; the decline of the
destination web (to borrow a phrase from Dave Berry) we witness and
engage in as we shift to social media platforms and other walled fora
just mirrors 'our' (whatever that is) ongoing fragmentation into
parallel publics (as does the targeting of microelectorates in recent
campaigns) that has made it so difficult even for people interested in
the task to assume the role of 'public' intellectuals (or to badly
paraphrase Latour: tell me where to put the soapbox and I'll address
your public; a lot of media actors are still looking, it seems).

All the more important, imo, to retain a sense of shared collective
ambition and acknowledge the actually existing division of critical
and political labor (beyond the fetishization of individual voices,
that is). Especially because it's a division of labor that is
increasingly transnational (at least that's visible on this list),
calling on new ways of expression such as cultural translation to move
concepts, ideas, agendas across political milieus, pretty difficult
after all.

And who knows where exactly the truth of politics lies, should we ever
find the time to assess the impact of our labors (although I'm not
holding my breath regarding Obama's paintings).

Soenke