On 2013-07-02, at 3:06 PM, "Glassman, Michael" <glassman...@osu.edu> wrote:

> I think I really disagree with this.  I find Morozov's arguments
> philosophically thin and part of what Stephen Pepper referred to as mindless
> skepticism.  The fact that he is attempting to communicate to a more general
> public makes this worse not better.  He feeds I believe in many ways to fit
> into those with predilections to fear the Internet and its possibilities,
> ridiculing ideas instead of just letting them fall on their own.  Fads
> generally don't last while great ideas do.  One of the troubles is that in
> the beginning we really don't know which is which.  Is it really up to
> somebody such as Morozov to bestow on himself this ability.  It wouldn't be
> so bad if it was just him but he is being treated as some type of folk hero
> simply for saying we must see the Internet as limited capabilities.  It is in
> my opinion a mindless skepticism that is in some ways dangerous.

> Let me take an example from the article.  Morozov ridicules a 24 year old guy
> who is trying to develop an app to help with obesity.  Well, why?  There is a
> good chance it won't work, just as there is a good chance the most well
> thought out initiatives won't work (the one's Morozov approves of).  But it
> just may work, or lead to something that does work, so why cut off this
> person's desire and energy with misplaced skepticism and ridicule.  Maybe it
> won't solve obesity for everybody.  Maybe it will help with ten people.
> Maybe it will help me.  The point is I don't know, you don't know and Morozov
> certainly does not know.  Allow the energy to flourish.  Have any of you ever
> read the history of Douglas Engelbart's Augmentation Research Center.  How
> Morozov would have been allowed to ridicule that of course.  And would there
> be less of a chance of me writing this message on the Internet to a list of
> people if he had.

This. Evgeny Morozov mostly built his career on the practice of being skeptical
about anything and everything, and then expressing his scepticism in the most
provocative and attention-earning manner possible. If he lasts as more than a
fad, it'll be another example of an issue within this community. Even his
Twitter bio is "There are idiots, look around."

There are a lot of people who equate someone who regularly and rudely dismisses
issues, technologies and discussions as someone who is intelligent and
experienced. And some people just take advantage of this.

NK