On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <j...@cdt.org> wrote:

> On 10/11/13 9:43 AM, LilBambi wrote:
> >
> > I hope others may also consider making the hard decision to join EFF
> > in leaving this group until they can be more effective. It is scary to
> > think that faith in a group of this nature can no longer be trusted
> > because of government meddling.
>
> Frankly, I hope the opposite (that this spurs deeper engagement between
> civil society and GNI members).

Hi - EFFer here.

I agree with Joseph.  We didn't leave so that others would follow, we left
because we could no longer in good faith cosign GNI statements when
companies can't be honest with us.

I would sincerely hope that our leaving puts the remaining NGO
representatives in a better position to push the companies harder.  GNI
membership offers quite a few benefits for many of the international (and
domestic) groups that take part, so the best outcome here would be for it
to become a stronger organization than it has been.

Best,
Jillian

> --
> Joseph Lorenzo Hall
> Senior Staff Technologist
> Center for Democracy & Technology
> 1634 I ST NW STE 1100
> Washington DC 20006-4011
> (p) 202-407-8825
> (f) 202-637-0968
> j...@cdt.org
> PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
> fingerprint: BE7E A889 7742 8773 301B 4FA1 C0E2 6D90 F257 77F8
>

> --
> Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable on Google. Violations
> of list guidelines will get you moderated:

*Note: *I am slowly extricating myself from Gmail. Please change your
address books to: jilliancy...@riseup.net or jill...@eff.org.

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*