Hey Shava! Thanks for your feedback.

We wanted the headline to suggest that Lantern was the next new, exciting
thing in anti-censorship, and the easiest way to signal that was by
mentioning Tor. For what it is--scalable blocking resistance--it could very
well be better than Tor. We did not mean to set up the story of a horse
race between the two, merely to quickly contextualize Lantern for readers
less familiar with anti-censorship tools. Jessice is working on a follow-up
story tomorrow about the relationship between uProxy, Lantern and Tor, and
the information sharing that is the foundation of those tools. You can
reach her directly at jessica-at-personaldemocracy-dot-com and I'm sure
she'd be happy to talk with you.

Micah

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Tempest <temp...@tushmail.com> wrote:

> Shava Nerad:
>
> > But if you look at the press or boosters or detractors, there is
> > misinformation, disinfo, and just a lot of glitter and FUD out there.
> >
> > Not to jump on TechPresident, but to use them as an example (but because
> it
> > was posted here...), there's a tendency to pit groups against one
> another,
> > too, which is freaking sad.
> >
> > From their headline:  ""Could State Department Funded Lantern Be Bigger,
> > Better Tor?"
>
> the lantern team already directly laid this to bed in their faq under
> "is lantern safe for me to use."
>
> "Lantern is not an anonymity tool. If you require that the sites you
> visit do not learn your IP address or physical location (they normally
> can, which may come as a surprise), or you cannot risk network monitors
> being able to determine what sites you visit, we recommend you use Tor.
> Tor is great software, and we communicate with the Tor team frequently.
> Again, Lantern’s purpose is access. Tor’s purpose is anonymity."
>
> https://getlantern.org/#/faq

> VFEmail.net - http://www.vfemail.net
> $24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features!
> 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
> Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!
> --
> Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable on Google. Violations
> of list guidelines will get you moderated:

Did you ask a good question today? Help the Good Question
Project<http://www.goodquestionproject.com/> find
and highlight good questions asked in public.
My digital trail:
http://www.personaldemocracy.com
http://www.techpresident.com
http://micah.sifry.com