All really well put, Shava, and I couldn't agree more. I actually met with
Jessica this morning after requesting they change the title (almost missed
my flight as a result!), and she spoke with her editor about it. They'd
apparently have to do it through issuing a correction, which sounds a
little unlikely, but we'll see. As I mentioned on
Twitter<https://twitter.com/adamfisk/status/392742545236561921>
yesterday,
in the interview I really tried to emphasize that Tor is much better at
anonymity than Lantern and that Lantern is focused on access and usability
but that we encourage high risk users to run Tor. I think the body of the
article reflected that, and I think Jessica overall did a really great job
with the piece itself. We also tried to clarify this in a Tumblr post that
actually went up
yesterday<http://get-lantern.tumblr.com/post/64803849523/thanks-to-jessica-mckenzie-and-tech-president-for>discussing
how we love you guys and don't see ourselves as competing at all.

We're talking with Jessica about a followup post today that will touch on
all of the uProxy stuff but will also hopefully include more details about
the strong collaboration taking place in this space. Roger was one of the
very first people to give us feedback on Lantern, and you guys have always
been so incredibly supportive and helpful with everything from technical
details like overall architecture suggestions and specifics on SSL
handshake fingerprinting to referring us to your amazing accountant who has
been working with us for a couple of years now (we love her)! I and the
rest of my team have very deeply appreciated that, and the last thing I
would want to do is to be anything but helpful in return. I'll personally
be much more vigilant about making both that support as well as the
importance of Tor even clearer in all communications going forward.

One thing I do want to be wary of too is that just because we all like and
support each other that doesn't of course mean we always have to agree.
Again we really would love to hear any criticisms of Lantern people may
have, including anything technical or messaging related, as that's the only
way we'll improve.

Thanks Shava.

-Adam

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Shava Nerad <shav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am with Jill -- and I wish more of the press and sponsors took that
> attitude.  Lantern has good expectations I think specified on their site,
> and so does Tor.
>
> But if you look at the press or boosters or detractors, there is
> misinformation, disinfo, and just a lot of glitter and FUD out there.
>
> Not to jump on TechPresident, but to use them as an example (but because
> it was posted here...), there's a tendency to pit groups against one
> another, too, which is freaking sad.
>
> From their headline:  ""Could State Department Funded Lantern Be Bigger,
> Better Tor?"
>

> That's their font, for those with rich text email.  Please see my comment
> on the article, which I believe was measured and compassionate.  I like
> TechPresident a lot (hi, Micah! :).
>
> But we are not sports teams.  Yes we compete for the same grant pool, but
> ideally there is enough -- we are small groups and really, we are competing
> for attention with other domains that are seeking funding from the State
> Department that are not as strong as Internet Freedom.  If we do well, that
> pool of money will be larger next year.  I hope all our projects find good
> niches and learn good lessons in this space -- it's relatively very new.
>
> No haystacks.  Other than that, let deliberate people of good faith, good
> science, and good communication do well.
>
> I'd like to see fewer people suffering for their work for freedom in the
> field, myself -- I know this is a broad coalition, and not all of it is
> "liberation" in motivation.  But it bothers me when journalists and
> sponsors put territoriality in front of liberation when ideally they are
> attracted to us as liberation workers in the first place?  (well, when they
> aren't coming at us as facilitators of child porn and drug mongerers...  or
> rebels who must hate the state, the NSA, law enforcement, the military,..
> Do you know I have had stalkers who think I must be something very much
> like Lisbeth Salander?  Twenty something, dour, kinky, something like
> Trinity out of the Matrix, sociopathic, criminally minded, etc.?  Because I
> started Tor..  They obviously don't read.. My were they -- three of them,
> so far -- surprised.. sigh)
>
> Tech President is trying to get away from the "horse race" election focus
> in their political writing, but look -- the language permeates every part
> of our culture.  We promote game mechanics and send liberation to the
> showers.
>
> The same here.  I didn't join this league to play futbol, even if I did
> incorporate a nonprofit named Tor. ;)
> yrs,
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Jillian C. York
> <jilliancy...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> "The more the merrier" is one thing.  Making safety and security promises
>> about a given circumvention tool is another.
>>
>> I accept that some circumvention tools are insecure, *if and only if* the
> [...]

Adam
pgp A998 2B6E EF1C 373E 723F A813 045D A255 901A FD89