I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I audited
Google's 2FA when I worked at Twitter.  The attack scenario that is
described here is simply not possible without the endpoint being
owned.

Code replay is not possible. Once a code is accepted, it cannot be
used again to log in.

The SMS attack is substantially more likely, but you can disable SMS
codes in preferences. You should not use SMS at all if you can avoid
it.

Additionally, in order to get past 2FA, the attacker would have to
have the user's password. All of this points to some sort of remote
access tool or keylogger being active on the activist's machine.

-j