I can see where the might be cause for concern.  But lets take them one at a
time.

From: Robert D. Silvetz, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- Last Thursday, Barr came out in favor of nationalized/ socialized oil
exploration (the kind inevitably followed by corporate welfare-gifting of
discovered resources).

Lets start with the tangled issue of who actually owns these lands.  It is the
federal government.  Setting aside the fact that the government should be
restricted from owning land, the fact is they do.  I gather from this article
that he needs to refine his position to that of outright selling the land to
whomever wishes to buy and exploit it.  If it is the oi companies so that they
can drill and bring the oil to market or some other group who wishes to operate
a park then so be it.  I think you read too much into what he said.  I don't
think he actually came out in favor of nationalized/socialized exploration, but
was criticizing what congress has done or not done so far.
- Yesterday, Barr made an appeal on behalf of using state tax policy for social
engineering purposes.

This is where I believe you have most misinterpreted what he says.  He clearly
says that the federal government has no responsibility for education.  He would
eliminate the DOEd and return the money back to the treasury and then back to
the taxpayers.  He then merely pointed out the local efforts that actually do
work.  And by his own statement the
individual family level is the most important level of where education needs to
take place.
- And today, in a truly bizarre fundraising letter, Barr played the
Know-Nothing card, effectively screaming from the rooftop: "Support me -- I'm
not as LIBERTARIAN as John McCain and Barack Obama on immigration. "

This is where I have to disagree with you as to what the best policy must be.
Currently we have large numbers of individuals coming in from Mexico with
intent to commit crimes, steal medical services, and steal welfare.  Most of
these individuals are not here to work.  They are here with criminal intent.
They are by and large dishonest people.  This is a conclusion based upon a
cursory examination of the available evidence.  We cannot support the people
coming across the border by way of welfare.  They are not being stopped. In
fact both McCain and Obama support allowing more people in so that hey can go
directly onto the dole.  Barr is against this.  So until we can dismantle the
welfare state something needs to be done.  The free flow of labor is one thing,
this is something different.  Most of these individuals are not coming in with
the intention of working, but with the intent of stealing property, welfare and
medical services.  That needs to be
 addressed quickly as it is a major problem.

BWS