Good evening everyone!

As I browse through all of these messages on this conference,
that is, from Travis, Robert, Lowell and others, there appears to
be a common thread with regard to Democrats and Republicans,
there are only two questions that all of us should be asking,
namely:

1.  Political Expediency, e.g.: Doing what is most likely a
probability of getting a half of a loaf, versus nothing at all,
and

2.  Doing what is the right thing, e.g.: Voting on the principles
upon which you stand, and what you believe is the absolute
correct course that ought to be followed.

Along with this, of course, is the U.S. Constitution, which
seemingly during the last seveal decades gets very little
attention, either from the politicians, or the people who elect
the politicians.

Travis points out, with facts I might add, that BOTH the bulk of
the GOP and the Democrats follow the first course, that is, doing
what is politically 'possible' or expedient -- getting what you
can, while you can, and for largely your own political survival.

I wonder sometimes if Libertarians would REALLY do things all
that differently -- I hope we would, and we stand on principle
always suggesting that things would be very different if
Libertarians were elected instead of the two other major
parties.  But I sometimes wonder if we can find a way to get into
that power lane and actually win in enough capacity where perhaps
we also might fall into the same falacy of wanting to get half a
loaf rather than nothing at all!

This does happen after all, within our own ranks. Robert Goodman
believes we should work within the two major parties and try to
achieve what we can, when we can, and incrementally try and go
somewhere in a direction different than might be possible doing
it alone as a political Party. I've also gone on record that we
can't possible achieve everything we want at a given moment in
time, and it will take a long while to even turn the ship around.

On the other hand, I've also gone on record suggesting that
probably nothing we do will come to pass until such time arrives
that the majority of Americans awaken to a giant catastrophe in
which there is no immediate excape with the common mechanisms in
place that we have trusted and relied upon for a long, long time
that will take us through.

I still hold to that premise.  I've run for public office twice
in my district, and lost horrendously each time!  The Republicans
and Democrats still hold the only field in which the majority of
voters care to tred.

So, I ask, is there a real reason for this madness of even
raising the spectre of a third party?  Given our 30-year history
of horendous losses, I don't even know if I have an answer to
that one!

I was raised by my parents to believe that principle means
everything. You're as good as your word.  If you believe
something strongly enough, it's worth fighting for!

Well, at 56 years old, I no longer have my parents around to
encourage me to such strengths, yet I hold to them anyway.  Maybe
it's because of them, I don't know, since my father was a 'New
Deal Democrat' and my mother never made too much fuss about her
own political orientation, other than that of principle.  One
thing I do know, my father certainly had his strength and
character, although I might suggest it was misguided, as did my
mother, I too have to find a way to justify my own actions
insofar as doing the right thing in which I believe is right and
justified.

One thing however that I was never brought up to believe or
practice was the art of compromise, or to put that a bit current
in this conversation, the art of what is possible, or political
expediency.  I understand this is a popular notion today both in
politics, and in American society in general.  We're stuck with
that, I guess.

But what if, a political Party really meant what it says, and
demonstrates it really means what it says and doesn't play along
with the current drift?  I think we've tried to do that very
hard.  I also don't believe we should stop doing what we do.
Sure, that's easy to do in this society -- principles are always
negotiable, right?

What if they are not?  What do you do with a bunch of people,
actually the third largest Political Party in America today, who
say it shouldn't work that way?  Principles really do matter.
This is what we stand for, and we hold to that at all times, on
all of the issues, and in all places?

I think some of you might say, "Ya, I've heard all of this
before, and we're still losing."

Well.  Whose losing?

Certainly the MAJORITY is losing!  The US dollar is in fast track
losing value; US foreign policy is an abject failure; the
majority's civil liberties are going down the shitter; we're
living in a police state growing on steriods; and the list goes
on, and on, and on.

Should Libertarians stop doing the one and only thing we do best?
Pointing out exactly what is wrong in our society and point to
the only way to find our way out of this quagmire?

I don't want to join alongside the Democrats and Republicans who
have created this disaster we are living in.  I didn't vote for
George W. Bush or John Kerry.  I have no reason to assume I have
a moral responsibility to support the current regime in power in
this country.  I don't. I didn't vote for it, so I have no
contract whatsoever to support the direction of the US political
process insofar as it is controlled by the bastards representing
the two major parties in power.

That is what a real election means to me.  It means if I win,
then I have an obligation to support the choice I made in the
voting booth.  If I lose, then I have no reason whatsoever to
support or defend failed and reckless policies in which I did not
sign on to in the voting booth.

I voted Libertarian as much as I was able to in the November
election. I would be a hypocrite if I signed onto the status quo
now as some sort of 'obligation' to support what the rest of the
sheep decided to go with, whatever that might be.  I won't do
that, sorry.

Kindest regards,
Frank