Greetings, Dave!
> One of the restraints the liberal-leaning news media have put on the Bush
> administration is an abject failure to admit in print that the newfound
> freedoms in Afghanistan and other places all came about under Bush's first
> term.

Yes.  That's a failure of the press and a failure of part of the American
people to see through the press.  It also exposes the mendacity of most of
Bush's political opponents who have taken advantage of it.  Yes, the Bush
administration might have been able to do a better job of public relations.
But, I've got to say that if a critic's worst criticism of an administration
boils down to poor public relations, they are, in essence, admitting that
they are to some degree lying or misleading about the administration's
accomplishments.

> I constantly am reminded of William Lederer and Eugene Burdick's
> excellent book "The Ugly American" because, in my opinion, it was the
> first fictional book to accurately portray how other countries must
> perceive us as Americans. The positive steps toward freedom under Bush
> probably have done a great deal of ameliorate those impressions, but on
> the other hand, along the way we have alienated the vast shadowy
> underworld of Islam fundamentalism.

I doubt that we did much to alienate fundamentalist Islam.  I mean, if we
alienate them more, what are they going to do, hijack airplanes and crash
them into buildings?  The problem is that fundamentalist Islam is in one
sense like Fascism and Communism.  All are ways of controlling people's
lives that are fundamentally incompatible with our way of life--and for many
of the same reasons.  The very fact that we exist and succeed as a society
is a threat to them.  Therefore, the only hope they have of survival--never
mind success--is to destroy the competition.  That's us and our ideas.  So
the survival of their ideas depends on the suppression of our ideas and the
killing of the people who hold them.

> We have created a new class of Ugly American; and now, by alienating
> fundamentalist Muslims, we must pay the price for it, much the same as we
> have been paying the price for the incredible mind-boggling foreign
> relations gaffes of the 60's, 70's and 80's. What that price might be has
> yet to be revealed, but we trod on dangerous ground, I am afraid.

I think it is being revealed and I think that of all the people in
leadership positions in DC, Bush is the one who most understands this.  That
is why, in several speeches, he has referred to the fact that during the
cold war we tolerated dictators in the Middle East in return for "stability"
and that this is no longer acceptable.

As for the "ugly American," he's a real creature.  But today's "ugly
American" is a lot uglier to dictators and thugs than to ordinary people.
While a lot of ordinary people may not see it that way, my attitude is that
you do the right thing long enough and eventually people start to notice
that's what you are doing.  There are still a lot of people who think that
the US went into Iraq for oil.  As more steps are taken to get a
constitution and a representative government and put control in the hands of
elected Iraqis, many of those people will be forced to change their minds.

If ten years from now, we leave a reasonably democratic Iraq (except for an
embassy that's about the same as any other embassy in any other country),
and the Iraqi people like us about as much as the French do, I'd say that
was a smashing success!

> > That's not to say that I agree with everything he's done.  Just that, on
> > balance, there was no other candidate who appeared able to do a better
> job
> > of increasing freedom around the world and (more importantly) at home.
>
> Good point! There were no contenders, were there? That's what the
> Libertarian Party needs-- someone who is capable of increasing freedom
> around the world while not alienating foreign cultures and religions,
> however fundamentalist they might be.

Unfortunately, even the LP "contender" was drinking the anti-war kool-aide.
It wasn't just that no one else could get any electoral traction, no one
else was even talking about making this world safe for free people to live
in.

And as for alienating foreign cultures and religions, I think some of them
ought to start worrying about alienating US!  Really, look around you and
see how much politically correct BS we talk about and how much goes on where
we are trying not to cause offense.  But the people who ought to be offended
are Americans who trusted the UN to administer that "Oil-for-Food" program
that Saddam turned into the biggest scam I'm aware of in world history, $21
Billion stolen--and counting!  (Not even Enron or Worldcom was that big!
And the only person who died from either was an Enron exec who committed
suicide.)  We ought to be offended by the holier-than-thou French, German,
and Russian politicians who hands were elbow-deep in that money and used it
to stuff their pockets at the expense of the poor Iraqis it was supposed to
help and at the expense of the US and Iraqi troops and citizens who are
dying now from the insurgency partially funded by that cash.  At some point,
you have to start noticing that the fact that certain parties oppose a
decision is a pretty good indication that the decision was correct and to
h**l with whether it "alienates" them or not.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.