http://tinyurl.com/4ncof

Soldier who sued serves his country and his buddies

Dec. 9, 2004 12:00 AM

To the anonymous Arizona National Guardsman who is suing the federal
government for having extended his tour in the Middle East:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your service. Some time ago you volunteered for the National
Guard, and you have honored your commitment. You accepted a potentially
dangerous overseas assignment. You followed orders. Now you and seven other
soldiers from around the country are challenging the Pentagon's "stop loss"
policy, which allows the military to keep volunteers overseas even after
their enlistments have run out.

In a better world, you would not feel the need to remain anonymous because
you fear retribution from the military. That's what your lawyers say. My
guess is that you also fear being ostracized by people back home, most of
whom have not served in the military and don't have any loved ones serving.

I have lived in Arizona for a long time and I would hope that such a thing
wouldn't happen. I would hope that people here would understand your
position, even if they don't agree with you. I would hope that they would
appreciate the fact that, as far as you're concerned, you made a deal with
the government and you want the government to keep its end of the bargain.

I would hope that they might even understand how the government is hurting
future recruitment (which already is on the decline) by continuing to
utilize a policy like "stop loss" that involuntarily extends tours for Guard
members and reservists. I would hope that people in Arizona would recognize
that what you're doing is pro-military and pro-American. That's what I would
hope but . . . they won't.

People who oppose the war will most likely support you, and those who
support the war will most likely oppose you. Some may even call you a
traitor or a coward.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have served your country
voluntarily and honorably and then to be called such a thing. But that's how
it is.

Ironically, people like you protect the right of others to insult you. You'd
hope that they might recognize this fact, and the fact that you have the
right to seek judicial relief. But don't count on it.

Still, you aren't alone. It was reported Wednesday that unhappy soldiers
asked Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld why deployments were so long and why
they were being made to head into Iraq for extended tours with vehicles that
didn't have proper armor. "You go to war with the army you have," Rumsfeld
answered. Which is easy to say when you're not the one facing "improvised
explosive devices."

I've contacted the Arizona National Guard office about your case and have
been told that they have no comment. Nearly 3,000 Guard members from Arizona
have been deployed since September 2001.

Maj. Eileen Bienz, the Guard's public affairs officer, did tell me that
Guard members in Arizona often brag to her about "how much they appreciate
the support they receive" from folks here.

That's as it should be. Last year, readers of The Republic and viewers of
Channel 12 contributed $237,782 to a fund to assist families of deployed
soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen and Coast Guard personnel. Those looking
to help soldiers currently deployed to have a more enjoyable holiday can
call (602) 267-2222, voice mailbox #4177 or #4178, or visit
www.az.ngb.army.mil. That's one way to support our troops.

Another is to put in a good word for someone like you. First for your work
as a soldier. Second for being a citizen who, faced with ugly criticism, has
the courage to question his government.

Reach Montini at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (602) 444-8978.

--
Jay P Hailey ~Meow!~
MSNIM - jayphailey ;

So-called Western Civilization, as practised in half of Europe, some of Asia
and a few parts of North America, is better than anything else available.
Western civilization not only provides a bit of life, a pinch of liberty and
the occasional pursuance of happiness, it's also the only thing that's ever
tried to. Our civilization is the first in history to show even the
slightest concern for average, undistinguished, none-too-commendable people
like us. - P.J.O'Rourke