Good afternoon, Frank...

Frank Reichert wrote:

> It wasn't on spk.liberty_nw.  It was on used_kharma.chat.

It was on the spool of used_kharma.chat on the national news server, but
again, with emphasis, it NEVER appeared here on The Kharma News Server. In
fact, reviewing the spk.* hierarchy of newsgroups this morning in Los
Angelese, I was even a little stunned at how much of the junk never
reaches Kharma. While other news admins claim to have their methods of
keeping trash out of THEIR newsgroups, I concentrate on keeping Kharma
clean, and let the other admins care about newsgroup cancels and other
highfalutin' means. Hehehe. I'm not naming any names, am I?

> Now at least I understand that with usenetserver.com I also get
> the spam with the spk.* and used_kharma.* hierarchies, and you
> don't since your system self-protects itself from most such
> intrusions.  Don't know exactly what I have to do to extricate
> myself from this nuisance with usenetserver.com and simply pick
> up my news from kharma where it is reasonably sanitized from such
> intrusions.  It is probably NOT possible at reasonable cost to
> get a separate confirmed IP address from my ISP at coldreams.com
> since IP addresses are randomly given on each connect on each
> dial up connection.

BINGO, Frank! Is Coldreams the only ISP in Bonners Ferry? Who else is in
business up there? If you find an ISP that will assign you a fixed IP
address over dial-up you can pick your news up right here. Crude as the
system might seem from the outside looking in, for right now, it's the
only way I have of keeping the Spam-Merchants out of Kharma's news.

Eventually I'll have to change it over to a username-password type of
thing, but this winter, I simply don't have the disposable time to do so.

However, you're right! All I had to do was look at the news spool on
usenetserver.com and I could see all the wonderful things I never get to
see in Kharma's news. There were even a couple of pretty salacious sex ads
there in spk.bible that set me back a bit, as I wondered if our right
reverend Jim Bakker knew about it. 8-)

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot

 Fortune Random Thought For the Minute
After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is said than done.