Good evening, Travis...

Travis Pahl wrote:

> I live in the blue county of King in Washington.  The Rural area of
> King County are in the beginging stages of secession from
> Seattle/Bellevue.  The King County Council and executive created a
> regulation saying that rural land owners can only develope something
> like 45% of their land making the other 55% essentially not their
> (except when it comes to paying taxes).

Wasn't there an article in what <???> Washington Magazine <?> about the
outrageous taxes being paid by rural land owners last year? If I have the
right periodical, they also mentioned the "land use" doctrine which is
being applied by King County Planning Department, and soon to be others,
as well.

In Stevens County, if the County Commissioners tried that kind of crap we
would see the biggest recall of public officials in Eastern Washington's
history. Of course, our problem, somewhat unlike yours, is that nearly
one-quarter of Stevens County is currently federally or state-owned, and
that drives up the price of the available land, as well.

However, on the good side, you can still see the stars at night when you
step out the back door almost anywhere in Stevens County. You used to be
able to do that in Spokane and (in Idaho) Kootenai Counties, but no more.
<sigh> Too many strip malls and city lights.

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot

 Fortune Random Thought For the Minute
        "Life and death are seldom logical."
        "But attaining a desired goal always is."
                -- McCoy and Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2821.7